The Mutt-i-gree Curriculum Program
Cats are Mutt-i-grees 2
Cats Are Mutt-i-grees 2 is a companion to the Mutt-i-grees Curriculum that enables students to become aware of cat characteristics and behavior as well as the needs of cats, especially those awaiting adoption at animal shelters. It is designed to be used in conjunction with the Mutt-i-grees Curriculum or as a freestanding educational program in schools, librarians, or afterschool programs.
Themes & Core Concepts
The lessons and activities presented in the Cats are Mutt-i-grees 2 binder correspond to the five themes of the Mutt-i-grees Curriculum that reflect key principles of social and emotional learning and resiliency: Achieving Awareness, Finding Feelings, Encouraging Empathy, Cultivating Cooperation, and Dealing with Decisions.
The Cat Dialog feature lessons included in the Cats are Mutt-i-grees 2 binder target a wide age range. Depending on students’ developmental levels and interest, teachers may decide to highlight only part of the lesson and adjust the discussion prompts and vocabulary words included at the end of the lessons. The lessons are presented in sequence; however, teachers have the discretion to select some lessons and not others or to combine content from two or more lessons.
Educators may use Cats Are Mutt-i-grees 2 in several ways:
- To extend the lessons in the Mutt-i-grees Curriculum. Once implementation of the Mutt-i-grees
- Curriculum is complete, educators often review some lessons to boost specific student skills. Or as frequently happens, students wish to continue the lessons on their own. The Cat Dialog lessons and activities provide teachers with fresh materials they can use to extend implementation.
- Implement it simultaneously with the Mutt-i-grees Curriculum. In this case, educators would insert cat-themed activities and discussions about cat characteristics in the Curriculum lessons, using topics from the Cat Dialog lessons and Snapshots and following up with cat crafts and activities.
- Use it as a freestanding educational program. To facilitate this approach, each of the Cat Dialog feature lessons includes a list of activities that corresponds with the lesson. The use of Cats Are Mutt-i-grees 2 as a freestanding program is applicable to schools, libraries, and afterschool programs.
- Apply the content to various academic subjects. Teachers, especially those who are teaching English, journalism, social studies, or science, will find that the Cat Dialog feature lessons and Snapshots provide a real-world approach to teaching these subjects and engaging student